Where do I mail my tax return?
If we prepared your tax return for mailing, you should have a preaddressed envelope for mailing your return.  If not, this handy page on the IRS website has the most current address information.  For state returns, check with the state’s department of revenue or taxation.

When is my tax return due?

  • Individuals (Form 1040):  April 15.  If you file an extension, October 15.
  • Trusts/Estates with a 12/31 year-end (Form 1041):  April 15.  If you file an extension, September 15.
  • Corporations with a 12/31 year-end (Form 1120 series):  March 15.  If you file an extension, September 15.
  • Partnerships with a 12/31 year-end (Form 1065):  April 15.  If you file an extension, September 15.
  • Exempt organizations with a 12/31 year-end (Form 990 series):  May 15.  If you file an extension, August 15.  If you file an additional extension, November 15.  

When are my estimated tax payments due?
If you make individual estimated tax payments, your payments for the current year are due in quarterly installments:

                First installment:  April 15
                Second installment:  June 15
                Third installment:  September 15
                Fourth installment:  January 15

How long do I have to keep copies of my tax returns or other tax-related items?
We suggest 6 years. The IRS and states require that you keep copies of your tax return and records that support items in the return until the period of limitations for the particular return runs out (generally 3 years for the IRS, and 4 years for most states). The “clock starts ticking” on the date the return is filed. If a return is filed before the due date, the date of filing is deemed to be the last day required by law for filing.

Certain tax returns should be kept permanently as they are an important means of establishing basis for assets held and eventually sold. These would include estate tax returns, returns reporting the rollover of gain on sale of one’s principal residence (under the old rules now replaced with a $250,000/$500,000 exemption), and returns involving major corporate events.